• Facebook - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle

August 29, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Featured Posts

FOOD FOR THOUGHT TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT…

November 15, 2017

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

 

TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT…

 

 

Salt is salt, right? Wrong! There is a fundamental difference between Mother Nature’s product and that commonly found in commercial salt shakers and processed foods.

 

Real, unrefined salt, not interfered with by man, is a food, containing over 80 minerals and trace elements necessary for life. Commercial, refined salt, on the other hand, has been stripped of all its beneficial minerals and natural elements and may have as many as 18 chemical additives, including sodium ferrocyanide, chlorine, sulphuric acid and bleach. It is a lifeless product, capable of seriously undermining people’s physical health. But hey, it has a never-ending shelf life  -  no ‘sell by’ date  -  and that means maximum profits for the food manufacturers.

 

Obtaining essential minerals, like potassium, magnesium, iron and zinc, from the foods we eat, is increasingly difficult nowadays. Widespread use of herbicides and pesticides has depleted the soil of its natural nutrients and, as a result, many people are mineral deficient. The good news is that trace minerals are still abundant in the earth’s oceans and seas.

 

But don’t be deceived by products described simply as ‘sea salt.’ It may sound healthy, but it’s a scam, because all that means is that, at some point, the product was in contact with the sea. Most commercial salt is mined from underground salt deposits, heavily processed by machines that extract the minerals for industrial use, and heated to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, fundamentally altering its chemical composition and completely destroying any nutritional benefits. Generic table salt ends up being about 97.5% sodium chloride, with the remaining 2.5% consisting of an assortment of additives, including anti-caking chemicals, free flowing or conditioning agents, bleach, MSG and/or dextrose. Yum!

 

Our salt of choice, Celtic Sea Salt, is not mechanically processed, or chemically treated. Gathered off the coast of northwestern France, it’s harvested by hand, with wooden tools, a process dating back over 2,000 years. The result is a mineral-rich, great tasting, whole food product, containing 84 live, essential elements, necessary for optimum health. A family-owned brand since 1976, Celtic salt can also be found at Natural Grocers.

 

     

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Follow Us

I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Archive
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square